Updated: Apr 1, 2020
Thank you to Assemblymember Patricia Fahy for sharing the following information for those looking for work
Job + Employment Opportunities:
• JOBS: NYS Dept. of Labor Openings: The New York State Department of Labor is hiring an immediate 40 employees at their Albany location, for more details please visit: https://labor.ny.gov/careerservices/CareerServicesIndex.shtm
• JOBS: NYS Dept. of Health Openings: The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) is looking for new employees (Office Assistant I Temp./multiple openings) to complete data entry on a flexible schedule to help combat the COVID-19 pandemic at the Wadsworth Center here in the Capital Region and other locations. Please share with anyone you know who might be interested and get the word out.
• JOBS: Price Chopper Hiring 2,000+ Workers. Price Chopper will expedite and shorten the hiring process to bring on over 2,000 new employees throughout our region. To apply, visit pricechopper.com/apply.
• JOBS: Amazon Hiring 100,000+ Nationwide for Distribution. Amazon plans to hire over 100,000 nationwide to help with distribution of packages for an expected rise in online ordering. To apply visit www.amazon.jobs.
• JOBS: Target Hiring. Target plans to hire hundreds of new employees in most of its stores. To apply, please visit www.jobs.target.com/.
• JOBS: Hannaford Hiring. Hannaford plans to hire thousands of workers in the Northeast. To apply, please visit www.hannaford.com/careers/.
• JOBS: Walmart Plans to Hire 150,000+ Workers: Walmart plans to hire an additional 150,000 workers nationwide. To apply, visit https://storejobs.wal-mart.com/HiringCenter/.
Resources for Employers:
• Essential Businesses: 100% of non-essential workforces must stay at home beginning Monday, March 23. What is classified as an essential service in NYS? Note: If you believe that your business is an essential service but is not included in that list, you can apply with New York Empire State Development to have it listed as an essential service here.
• #SupportsmAlbany - Small Biz Survey: As COVID-19 outbreak related challenges progress in across the nation and in New York State, SupportsmAlbany wants to further address the impacts to businesses, and particularly small businesses, in the City of Albany. The actions being taken by the State of New York, the City of Albany, and public health authorities are necessary in mitigating the spread of the virus. Support smAlbany was formed to serve small businesses in whatever way we can as our community is facing unprecedented challenges. Support smAlbany is a coalition of regional business support partners that are coordinating efforts to offer assistance and help employers stay informed and prepared in this rapidly-evolving situation. Action to alleviate the economic impact on individuals and businesses is expected from federal and state governments in the coming weeks.
Labor and Benefit Information
• NYS Department of Labor: The NYSDOL has waived the 7-day unemployment insurance (UI) waiting period to apply, and has extended service hours and guidelines for when you should call or go online to apply - more information is available here. Please note they are experiencing heavier than usual customer traffic.
• Paid Sick Leave for Workers in Mandatory/Precautionary Quarantine: The state legislature authorized an emergency 2-week paid sick leave program for all workers impacted by precautionary or mandatory COVID-19 quarantine, with more information on how to apply and who qualifies at this link.
• New York State - How You Can Help: New York State is looking for both mental health and public health professionals to volunteer at medical facilities throughout the state or remotely to help manage the COVID-19 outbreak. Interested individuals can find more information here and apply at this link.
• Albany Medical Reserve Corps: The Albany County Department of Health, in conjunction with community partners, is preparing to open multiple Point of Dispensing (POD) sites throughout the County. These POD sites will serve to distribute medications, supplies, or (future) vaccinations to large segments of the County’s population. Albany Co. is looking for primarily licensed medical professionals with more information at this link. Medical Reserve Corp members, both clinical and non-clinical will be key in staffing the POD sites. Non-clinical volunteers will perform administrative support roles such as registration, data entry, language translation, crowd control, and assisting with special needs residents. Clinical volunteers would be integrated with Department of Health staff to conduct medically appropriate tasks.
• St. Vincent's Food Pantry: St. Vincent’s Community Food Pantry (984 Madison Ave, Albany) is looking for volunteers to help keep its operations going and to keep feeding the community during this crisis. Those interested should email St. Vincent’s at: email@example.com.
Remember to thank a member of the Capital Region's and NY's essential workforce today for continuing their work during this crisis: